The week in Italian food is looking tasty. Recipes for preserving the last of your summer vegetables, eggplants and red peppers, and other recipes that would make marvelous four-course meals. Eating Italy takes us all around the boot, with food stories from the Dolomites to a review of the CousCous Festival in Sicily. I hope you enjoy and Buon Appetito!
My Top 10 Italian Recipes from around the web this week:
- Joanne from Frutto della Passione shows us how easy it is to preserve eggplant and make them a year-round treat with Melanzane sott'olio
- From Snooth, Risotto al Barolo: Two Versions of the Piedmont Classic - and they suggest wines to pair with them
- Full of end of summer flavors Giuliano Hazan makes Penne with Peppers, Fresh Tomato and Basil from Educated Palate
- Deb of Italian Food Forever, makes another mouthwatering dish, Chestnut Pasta with Creamy Porcini Mushroom Sauce
- Frank gives us a lesson on braising octopus with this dish: Polpetielli Affogati (Drowned Octopus) from Memorie di Angelina
- Un Dejeuner de Soleil makes scrumptious Gnocchi Verdi alla Romana (Roman-Style Green Gnocchi)
- Classic Sicilian dish: Involtini Pesce di Spada (Swordfish Rolls) on Sicily Guide
- Bustrengo - Polenta and Apple Cake from Italian Food Notes
- An easy and elegant Torta di Mele (Italian Apple Cake) from Proud Italian Cook
- What to do with all those red peppers? Make Chili Jam to go with strong Sicilian cheese from Love Sicily
- Tuula from Le Petit France Blog gives us a taste of chocolate from the Eurochocolate Festival in Perugia on The Travel Belles
- Wine and beautiful photos of the terraced vineyards in the Cinque Terre: Sciacchetra - Wine of the Cinque Terre from Liguria Bella
- Photos from the CousCous Festival in San Vito Lo Capo, Sicily from Eat Like a Girl
- La Pasta: Popular Pasta Shapes and Types is a fantastic post with everything you wanted to know about the shapes, names and types of pasta from Aglio, Olio & Pepperoncino
- Along with behind-the-scene photos of restaurant kitchens in Italy and lovely dishes, Cellar Tours names its Ten Best Female Chefs in Northern Italy
- Tales of hiking the Dolomites for Michelin-starred meals in Italy: Taking a meal to new heights
Upcoming Food and Wine Festivals and Events:
- Chocoholics in Italy: Eurochocolate in Perugia October 15-24
- Four days of food celebration in Turin at the Salone Del Gusto October 21-25
- List of Fall Food Festivals in Emilia Romagna
- La Bonnissima - Festival Del Gusto celebrates the products of Modena from October 22 to 24.
- More chocolate for us chocoholics: Cioccolato in Piazza, a chocolate fest in the town of Carpi November 5-7.
- The candy Northern Italians associate with Christmas, torrone, has its own festival - Torrone Festival in Cremona is November 19 - 21.
- A magical event that I would recommend attending at least once in your life, Carnevale di Venezia happens from February 26 - March 8, 2011